Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Long Walk and Real Trees

 I grew up with an artificial tree.  I prefer them actually.  You set them up when you want and take them down just the same.  So, naturally, when my parents were getting rid of the artificial tree I grew up with, I called dibs...and so, we've set up an artificial tree every year but two.  Those two years we bought our real tree from Menards...which seemed to negate the purpose of a real tree for me, but whatever.

This year I was all set to set up our artificial tree.  My husband had something different in mind.  He set a date for us to go to a tree farm and cut our own...which in theory sounds like a glorious family outing...but in reality, I just pictured complaining, fighting, and whining.

My husband's mind was made up and so that's exactly what we did.  This past Sunday, we loaded up after church with boots on our feet and the saw in the trunk and headed to cut our own tree...and it was actually a pleasant experience...complete with a horse drawn wagon ride out to the farm...many "I found the perfect tree!!!", and a nice long walk back with nice conversations, piggy back rides, and hand holding.  We made great memories and I am so glad I didn't push back when Dan made his suggestion.  He's right, a real tree is much more fun.


 

0 things to add: