Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hey Baby, Let's Go to Vegas...

A report card was sent home with my princess on Friday. She is doing really great in school and is able to read a few books to me! It almost brings tears to my eyes when she goes around sounding words out...she's growing up so quickly.

I was concerned when I saw that she is actually digressing in her counting. It said that she was only able to count to 33 on this quarter's report card...much lower than last quarter. It also said that she is writing backwards...which is nothing new and sometimes she does it on purpose (I remember writing complete pages backwards when I was younger). On one of her number sheets, every single number was backwards. If I didn't know her so well, I would be worried. I know most of her problem is boredom.

I read the report card over and then went to talk to her about it. I told her how proud I was of her report card and that she got very good "grades" on everything. I then told her that I was a little concerned because it said that she could only count to 33 and I know she can count over 100. I asked her what happened. She said to me (with some attitude), "It takes too long to count to 100 so I get tired of counting." Typical Kait. :-)

I told her that we were going to work on writing her numbers the right way too. That she could not write backwards at school anymore. We sat down together today and did a little homework. She did great and I didn't have to help or correct her one time. I told her that I wanted her to write like for the rest of the school year and if she did really good on her report card then she could pick out something special at the store when she finishes kindergarten. Her eyes lit up and she looked at me and said, "And if I do perfect on my report card, we are going to go to VEGAS!"

(sigh)

2 things to add:

Hollie said...

HA... Hey Kait... don't forget to bring your favorite neighbors with!

Erin said...

One time(2nd grade)K1's teacher told us during our conferences that "K1 was breaking down throughout the day". Now...this was pretty typical. Ever since they were little they had more meltdowns than the average child and they cry at happy things, sad things, disapointing things, exciting things...etc.

So when we got home I just plainly told her "we are done with the meltdowns".

And the crazy thing...it's worked!

Sometimes I think it just takes us saying it for them to realize that we know it, and correct the behavior.

I bet you won't hear anything else about her not counting past 33. She will want to make mom happy!