Saturday, June 6, 2009

Another 10K


What a difference a year makes!

Last year, I was running my first ever race. This year, I ran my 3rd 10K and my 5th race.

I had a lot of excuses when I woke up this morning that I wanted to use:



  • I worked last night

  • I didn't get to bed until midnight

  • I was up two times with the kids

  • I have a blister on my right heel

  • I am tired

  • I would have rather been in bed

  • I haven't run 6.2 miles in a while

Getting there was pretty much everything. Once I was there at the race, I was glad I got my butt out of bed. I wasn't too motivated at the beginning of the race, but once the gun went off and I ran the first mile, my determined side started to come out. I was gonna finish this race and I was going to beat my two previous times of 1:06 and 1:03...I was going to beat the cute little girl in the green shirt too. :-) And I did just that!


I thought about a lot in the hour that it was just me and Forrest (my ipod). I did a lot of praying, thinking, reflecting, and thanking my God for all he has blessed me with. I prayed for many of you reading and dedicated my miles to you.

Mile one was for Dan and that God would be right on time with a job for him. I prayed for his test coming up in two weeks. I asked for that job for him.

Mile two was thanking God for my parents and in-laws...my husband and I have been truly blessed by the parents that God has given us.

Mile three was for a little boy, B that I am praying is ours one day.

Mile four was for a few of my friends and I spent it praying for things going on in their lives.

Mile five was for my kids. I am blessed to have them!

Mile six was for the parents of Joey, Olivia, Gabriel...babies that have gone to heaven and are whole and happy.

The last quarter of a mile was for me...all me. I kicked it up a notch and felt all I had take me to the finish line.

My watch said 60.23. My official time was 1.01.001. I shaved 5 minutes off my time from last year on the same course. I was happy. The 10K is my favorite race.

Next 10K will be under 1 hour.

2 things to add:

Rebecca said...

Proud of you!

I'm honored, too, that you would think about us at mile 6.

Maybe it's just my frame of mind, but the most striking thing about your post was when you said: Getting there was pretty much everything.

Oh, how true that is. So true.

Will be praying for Dan's test!

Unknown said...

Congrats! It seems like you had a good race.