Saturday, June 7, 2008

Thoughts after the race


We this morning was racing day. I didn't do as well as I was hoping. It was my first race, I finished it, and I had a whole lot of fun! I have three things I am going to do different next time:


Number one on my list is not pour a cup of water on my shoulder of the arm with my ipod strapped to it...yeah, really DUMB! I did this halfway through the race and it took a few seconds to register what had just happened. I thought, "why did my music just stop?" Well, ya dummy, you soaked your ipod! It still isn't working. I am praying for a miracle...or money for a new one by August.


Next is start stronger. I need to run hard on the flat parts of the race and then hold back on the hills. I got through the first part of the race feeling like I could have run harder and still felt good and had the energy to give it my all the second half. Shoulda, woulda, coulda (or however that goes, right Dan?)...


Finally is hills, hills, hills. I need to run more hills in training. Harvard Hills Road didn't kill me but it sure would have helped to have more training on them.


Jeremy said something that hit me, "All we have to do next year, is beat our time from this year," and that is exactly how I am going to look at it. I would really like to run one more race before The Crim. Know of any races (atleast 5 miles) in July?

5 things to add:

Addie's mom said...

Barrington has a 10k in July.
http://www.ci.barrington.il.us/News/NewsReleaseDetail.asp?ID=229. I think Mary is running that one too.

Bonnie said...

Awesome job Beth!! I'm proud of you!!

Erin said...

You finished the race AND got a cow shirt!!!! WOW...I can't think of anything greater in life!!! Good Job Girl!

Anonymous said...

Just saw a sign not to far from here for a few runs... you could always come out here.

Rebecca said...

I've been following along & just wanted to say, WAY TO GO! I know you've been working towards the Crim for a long time & running the Milk Days race just brings you one step closer. I looked around a bit & if you go to www.active.com, then select running from the left hand side, then enter your zip code in the box on the right hand side, you'll get a list of local upcoming races. Hope that helps!