Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Off She Goes

I am sure I will cry when I drop her off. I don't know why...she's only going to be gone three hours. She's been gone for three hours before...but never three hours, five days a week.

Today, we are going up to visit my princess' school and meet her teacher. Tomorrow, is her first day of school.

I sit here and try to wrap my head around it, but it really seems surreal to me. Has the time really passed that fast?

I am not the first ever (or the only) Mom to send their baby off to school for the first time and I know that both her and I will survive. I will miss her terribly.

I don't know if it's sending her off to school that is really getting to me or the fact that this is just the beginning...the beginning of opening my hand, loosening my grip. I just know that in a blink of an eye, she will be taking her first car ride in the driver's seat, going on her first date, graduating from highschool, off to college. I pray that instead of being crippled with sadness and fear, that I would focus my eyes on the goal...the goal of raising a godly woman, who will follow after God with her whole heart.

So, pray for me (and for Mom's everywhere like me) tomorrow, who will be fighting back tears (or sobbing uncontrollably) as they drive away after dropping their kindergartner off for their first day.

In the words of my princess, "Oh Mommy, you'll get over it."

3 things to add:

Peaceful Chaoz said...

Right there with ya. Shouldn't it be easier for me by now? ;0)

Will be praying for you!!

Jamie said...

You made me relive my experience of dropping Olivia off 2 years ago, and Haley last year. It IS an emotional experience, but you will survive! I'll be praying for you, as I too fight off tears as I drop off my 1st and 2nd graders.

Brittany said...

Praying for you as you lossen your grip just a little bit more:) It will be hard the first week but as you see how excited she is about learning different things it will make you that much more happy to see her go back:) She will have fun and so will you!!