Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Sister

The lovely Calist and me after finishing The CRIM.



The lovely Calist and me before running our half marathon.

I posted this same post last year on her birthday. It still fits:
She's been a constant in my life. I don't remember life without her. I actually didn't live much life without her. She has always been there, always been dependable, always listened, always been honest. We are total opposites but we get eachother...even though, I do think we are more alike than we were 10 years ago.

Most of my greatest memories from when I was younger include her. We were always paired together....twins when we were younger then as the "Farmer girls" when we got into Jr High. We were going to live together forever, do everything together. If we did happen to find someone to marry, they would be brothers so that we could have a double wedding and live right next door to eachother.

I would wake her at night to take me to the bathroom. She did it without complaining. She would sit outside the door, half asleep, until I was finished. Somehow, I thought that she could rescue me from the boogie man. As we got older, we would stay awake for hours talking about anything and everything until one of us would drift off to sleep. She was my other half...my better half.

Well, sometimes life doesn't go as planned. I miss her dearly. We live many states apart, see eachother only a few times a year. We didn't marry brothers, our kids don't get to see eachother for weekly playdates, and we don't have the privilege of doing Sunday dinner. The bond is still there though. There will never be another like her.

Happy Birthday, Calist. I can never fully express what you have meant and continue to mean to me. I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to race with you this year...it's been a blast! I miss you so much and love you even more. I am still holding out hope that one day we will be a short car ride away.

1 things to add:

Peaceful Chaoz said...

Very sweet. Hope you have a great birthday melissa! :0)