Saturday, January 31, 2009

Booked

This time of year always takes me back. It takes me back seven years ago. I was finally content with where I was in life. I love looking back over the Bible Study I was doing at the time. It's so funny to read my notes now that I know the outcome.

From the age of 14, on a off until January 2002, I was in an unhealthy relationship. We were toxic for eachother but neither of us could get enough of eachother. There was a lot of damage done over the five years...baggage that I carried into my marriage. One night, after spending the evening with him, he dropped me off in the church parking lot where my car was parked. After I was given an ultimatum, I decided in my heart that I was done. I went home after that Sunday in early January and wrote a letter to God telling Him that I was done. I was done chasing after anything but Him. I promised that I would search no more. My next relationship would be forever. Enter Dan even though he had been there all along.

I had known this guy since I was little...grade school. Our parents were good friends. We would share Sunday dinners. We even went camping together two different years. They had four boys. He was the youngest...awkward, goofy, gross.

Years went by, my family and I moved further north. His family moved out here. Our parents kept in contact. I would read over their Christmas letter every year and pay close attention to what his older brothers were up to. It's funny to hear him tell the story. I guess he saw my senior picture and that's when he called. We spent the next two years emailing and instant messaging. He seemed stuck on himself and a little too into my sister. :-) He asked me to fly to Florida with him for his grandparents 50th. I thought that would be way too awkward! It just confirmed in my head that he was too desperate...kinda creepy.

Back to January 2002. From about October to January, I would go online at night and sit there waiting for him to pop up. He was a blast to IM back and forth...an escape. He kept asking me to fly out there. The time was never right until January. I called him, which was so not like me. I asked about the nearest airport. Hung up with him and booked my flight. I wasn't looking for anything. I just needed to get away. I needed an adventure. God had other plans. Little did I know, I had booked the rest of my life.

2 things to add:

Brittany said...

Wow I guess all I can say is AWWWWW!!! I love the title!!

Rebecca said...

I just love the way you tell a story!! The last line is just so...classic. "Little did I know, I had booked the rest of my life." It is funny how you look back on things, knowing what the outcome is now :>)